[TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus freq. readout
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:04:14 -0500
Pete, when I turn on my IC-756 PRO from a cold start, it will be less than
5 Hz different from WWV. After two minutes it will be within 3 Hz of WWV.
After 5-10 minutes it will be less than  two Hz different from WWV. AT any
time after the rig has been on for several hours, the observed dial
calibration is usually 1.x Hz removed from WWV.

I measure dial calibration error by tuning in WWV at 9999.000 USB (and/.or
10,001.000 LSB) and looking at the 1000 Hz beatnote on an audio spectrum
analyzer program such as SpectroGram or a PSK31 program such as DigiPan.
DigiPan will measure the input frequency to within 0.1 Hz by centering a 15
Hz bandwidth DSP filter over the incoming signal. I have crosschecked both
programs with a professional audio spectrum analysis program costing many
$$$ in comparison. Both are right on.

I use the PRO to set up my counter since there is no guarantee that the
counter is accurate to any particular reference. I also run the counter
24/7/365 and still it needs to be touched up by a Hz or two or three
occasionally.

In order to verify the intergrity and accuracy of the program and of the
soundcard, I first tune in WWV on AM and measure the audio tone modulation
frequency. Invariably, this frequency will be reported as 500.0 or 600.0 or
whatever tone is being used. Then I set the dial as described above and
measure the beatnote to obtain the dial calibration error. This approach is
quick, highly accurate and does not rely upon any human sensory judgement
or action in determining the outcome, other than selecting the audio trace
with a mouse click.

Now, this experience with the PRO is exceptional in my opinion and
experience. I had a Kachina 505DSP that was seldom closer than 5 Hz even
after it performed its automatic self-calibration. My IC-765 tunes in 10 Hz
steps and is usually within 10 Hz after warming up thoroughly and can be
calibrated to within a Hz on a short-term basis.

Try the audio spectrum analyzer approach and see how you like it.

73/72, George
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!