[TenTec] Orion IF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion IF
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
One of the other comments I also found interesting was
that the "digital sections of the two receivers" are
identical. Essentially this will mean that whatever
performance differences there are between the two RX's
is solely determined by the analog circuitry preceding
it. Which simply underscores the reality that DSP IF's
are only ever as good as the analog stages ahead of
them. While DSP is a great thing, it can't however
perform magic and make up for poor/marginal analog RF
design practices.

I also found the decision to mirror the
Pegasus/Jupiter/RX350 IF frequency scheme for the sub
RX intriguing. Could the Orion sub RX design effort be
the precursor to a Pegasus II, Jupiter II, RX321, and
RX351 somewhere down the road? I for one hope so.

Duane
N9DG

...engines now cooled...