[TenTec] Grounds & 450 ohm Ladder Line

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Grounds & 450 ohm Ladder Line
From: N0KHQ@aol.com (N0KHQ@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:21:44 EDT
I generally just monitor the reflector, but there have been two topics that I
have been paying close attention to:

1. Grounds.

There are 4 issues that we as amateurs should be concerned with.

A. Lightning protection
B. AC Ground
C. DC Ground
D. Low loss RF current return path back to the source....sometimes mistakenly

    called RF Grounding.

All of the above issues should be addressed and treated separately.

A. Lightning Ground-This issue is treated in the traditional manner. If you
are using a
    tower or pushup pole....you will want to install ground rods at the base
as
    illustrated in most publications.

B. AC Ground- Most homes have a grounding rod driven into the ground near the
    service entrance. From the grounding rod to the distribution panel is a
wire,
    generally green. This green wire travels throughout your home to every
receptacle,
    light switch, lighting fixture, your electric stove and refrigerator.
This is probably the
    biggest ground loop known to mankind and undesirable in Ham Radio. For
Ham
    Radio, all of your 120vac devices should be plugged into ONE receptacle.
The
    green wire that was installed when your home was built should be removed.
In
    its place a new green wire should be installed and ran outdoors to a new
ground
    rod. Good bye ground loops. If another piece of equipment in your home
should
    fail and go to ground....at least your radio equipment will survive. UPS
systems
    are inexpensive in today's market and add a ton of protection to your
station.
    ($100-$200)

I will address Items C, D, and 450 ohm Ladder Line tomorrow.

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 17M
Antennas:
You can build 'um better than you can buy 'um.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---