[TenTec] Argonaut V - A/B comparison with the K2

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V - A/B comparison with the K2
From: bstephens1@mindspring.com (ROBERT STEPHENS)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 8:23:9 -0500
 Paul

It sounds like the Argonaut V beats the K2 for everyday casual operating.

I have a question for the serious contesters and DXers on this list:

Under what actual conditions will the K2's better front end be noticed?

Here in southern Conn during a big contest I hear a lot of crud (on my
Scout) that makes it impossible  to hear weaker stations between strong
ones. Would the K2 be able to hear stations that the V could not or would
the ARgonaut's DSP pick out stations that could not be copied on the K2?

 I can understand that the rare DX station on the noisy end of the pile up
needs a receiver with a good front end but does it really make a difference
for those of us who are listening to the DX and calling 5 up? As long as
there are no lids transmitting on the DX station's frequency (as long as
the local QRO stations are calling up or down the band)I would guess that a
receiver with good filters and an adequate front end would hear just as
well as a receiver with a better front end.
Suppose local QRO ops are transmitting 5 up from a weak DX station. How
close to me do the  local QRO stations need to be to cause trouble to a rig
with an average front end ? 1 mile away? 10 miles away? 20 miles away?

It all boils down to one question. Under what specific circumstances will a
Omni V1 or K2 hear signals that an Argonaut V/Jup/Peg won't?