[TenTec] Argonaut V Fan

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V Fan
From: clinton_h@yahoo.com (clinton h)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:43:38 -0800 (PST)
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:37:33 -0500
> To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V Fan
>
> Has anyone installed the optional fan for the new
Argonaut V?  The
> instructions have you opening the radio and running
the power lead
through a
> grommet (in which you have to cut a hole) to a
mating jack inside.
However,
> there is 12v available to a phono jack on the back
of the radio. This
jack
> is only powered when the radio is on. To me, it
seems a simpler place
to get
> the power for the fan - you would just have to
modify the plug on the
fan
> power lead. This would make it easier to remove the
fan when not
needed.

> Can anyone see any reason not to use this 12v jack
instead? If you
needed
> power for another accessory, you could always build
a Y cable.

> Currently, I hooked up an external fan (an only
computer fan) and
have that
> blowing on to the back of the radio - I found that
after a 5 minute
PSK31
> transmission the heat sink was pretty warm.
>
> 73,
> Mark

 We have discussed this one fairly extensively over
at Ten-Tec516 -- including solving the common fan
"hum problem"... I recently added in a photo of the
fan kit wire routing that avoids the fan hum problem,
after I installed my fan kit, and the text describing
the cable routing can be found in our message
archives. (Message 203 gives the details of the photo,
and some of the older messages talk about the fan,
fan hum issue, and fan kit installation as well.)
Next I'm going to add iseparaterate plug in line with
the wires, in effect providing a clean "off switch"
for the fans.

 For further info, please visit: