[TenTec] Help - Golf Cart Batteries.... Herc II ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Help - Golf Cart Batteries.... Herc II ?
From: w9wis@charter.net (Michael Melland)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:02:59 -0500
Well the replies are about 50/50 between running a power
supply and battery power.  It seems the concerns about
batteries are the Hydrogen produced by the charging
process.  Many seem to live in warmer climates where
batteries can be placed outside.  It is however clear that
the Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries in series are a very
good way to go.

I spoke this afternoon to an engineer at
http://www.cascadeaudio.com/prod/powersupp.html that makes
high amperage switching supplies for audio purposes and
mfgs them for communications companies as well.  The
engineer told me that the ASP-75 75 amp max supply would
work great.  It draws a maximum of 18 amps at 120 vac
which admitedly is stiff but do-able in my situation.  He
said that voice peaks that "may" reach the Hercs design
maximum of 80 amps would not hurt the 75 amp supply (it
does have fold back if the transient is of a longer
duration at 80 amps).  He said that in his opinion the
best set up would be a small gel cell across the charger
like is used in audio applications.  This raises the rated
ability to supply amps on peaks to about 1000 amps.  The
spec sheets on the supplies are available on line as well.
Any thoughts ?

Mike

--
Michael Melland, W9WIS