[TenTec] World's first transatlantic digi voice

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] World's first transatlantic digi voice
From: ah7i@atl.org (Bob)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:59:02 -0500
'All else equal' ;-) I like that...

Higher symbol rate => higher bandwidth amplitude(above noise)
product. I've been told by a guy who attends the standards
committee meetings for 'cellular telephony' that the US military
is running voice at 2kbps. The voice is deconstructed and
a representative description sent. This is used to reconstruct
the 'voice' at the other end. Your home telephone is digitized
as 8bit x 8ksps and transmitted as either 7 or 8 bit x 8ksps.
(64kbps or 56kbps)

CDMA specs make for some interesting reading. Also look at what
Flarion is doing with their digital radio which may be better and
doesn't fall under Qualcomm patents! Little google work will find
it all on line...

-bob
ah7i/4