[TenTec] cascaded filters was Omni V audio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] cascaded filters was Omni V audio
From: w2fca@cs.com (w2fca@cs.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:32:06 -0500
"ROBERT STEPHENS" <bstephens1@mindspring.com> wrote:

>For a combination of ssb ragchewing, ssb contesting and casual cw operating
>I thought that the following combination of filters would work *without*
>degrading the narrow filters.
>
>6.3 MHz: ?2.8, 2.4, 1.8
>9 ? MHz: ?2.8, 2.4, 500Hz
>
>Would other combinations work better for the objectives I stated? Or am I
>misunderstanding something?

If I could have 3 different filters in each IF, I would be tempted to go -

6.3 MHz:  2.8, 1.8, 500Hz
9   MHz:  2.8, 1.8, 250Hz

I don't think the 2.4 would have that much greater fidelity that the 1.8 nor
that much greater selectivity than the 2.8. These should let you go from HI-FI
to really tight for DXing.

>I currently have access to a TS 690 with cascaded filters, and would like
>to try tuning it according to your directions.

My Omni V was on the fritz for the CQWW this past weekend and I used my TS690
instead. There is no comparison between the two. I have all filter positions
filled in the 690 and it still won't hear as well as the Omni.

Frank
W2FCA