[TenTec] Omni VI Plus alignment without a freq ctr?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus alignment without a freq ctr?
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:15:31 -0800
...names have been deleted to protect the embarrassed...  if someone else
has a better procedure please post it.

 - jgc

> Hi John:
> I read your posting on the TT reflector and thought you might help
>
> I aligned the usb and lsb capacitors looking for some "better low
> end audio"
> just by ear. Now My freq read out is not accuarte (obviously). Is there a
> way to adjust the main vfo (listening to wwv) to have a correct reading?..
> Unfortunatelly I do not have a counter to realign the trimers to their
> specified frequencies.
> Thank you

Hello Jxxxx,

Flying by the seat of my pants here... it's going to REALLY be hard to
re-align your radio without a good frequency counter.  The USB and LSB
trimmers affect pretty much everything (LSB handles LSB xmit/rcv, while USB
handles everything else including CW receive, except for CW transmit and
RTTY).

I'm assuming you haven't adjusted the main TXCO... if so you will DEFINITELY
need a frequency counter.  DO NOT ADJUST THE TXCO WITHOUT A FREQUENCY
COUNTER IF YOUR LSB AND USB TRIMMERS ARE ALREADY MISADJUSTED!  You will just
be making things worse.  If your TXCO has not been adjusted since alignment,
try this and it should get you close (to within a few hertz if you are
careful):

 - use your Internet browser to view WWV website so you can see what freq
tones are being broadcast
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/iform.html#stdf
 - use an HF digital program that lets you zoom into the display, like
DigiPan or MixW or IZ8BLY Stream (best for this mode if you use the vertical
waterfall)
 - tune to WWV at 10 Mhz
 - switch to LSB mode, and watch the tones on the waterfall (the tones are
usually 500 hz and 600 hz, depending upon the minute... the WWV website will
tell you what tone(s) are being played and when)
 - use the LSB trimmer to align the tones to the correct frequencies
 - switch to USB, and repeat the tone watching/setting procedure

I can think of another way, using a second receiver of known good alignment,
but it would be considerably more complicated.

This will get you close, but your best bet is to buy a frequency counter, or
send the rig back to Ten-Tec for an alignment (about the same cost if you
compare two-way shipping of your radio plus the service cost to the cost of
a good used freq ctr... I'd buy the counter and do it myself).

Hope this helps,

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net