[TenTec] Omni VI mic audio mystery

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI mic audio mystery
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 14:14:46 +0000
Here's an interesting thing that happened over the weekend with my Omni VI:

I ragchewed with my regular roundtable on 75 meters Saturday night on my
Omni.  All was well.  I was trying out a new transmatch in the feedline.  No
problems with it.  Sunday morning I put the old transmatch in the feedline &
turned on the Omni VI & set it up to check into a net on 20 m. phone & tuned
the matching network to the net frequency with a swr analyzer.  At net time,
mic keys radio but no USB output.  Turn on processor and switch multimeter
over to processor & speak into mic.  Nothing on the meter.  Bad mic?  (Mic
is a Heil goldline.)  Net has been going on for 10 minutes so give up on
Omni & switch over to Corsair II and hook Heil up to it.  Mic and Corsair
work fine; check into net etc.  After net decide to mess with Omni some
more; hook mic back to it.  Now Omni works fine.  Weird eh?  Temperature in
shack about 60 deg. F.  I doubt if the xmatch & temperature matter but I
didn't want to leave anything out.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com