[TenTec] 526 Review Translation?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 526 Review Translation?
From: jmalloy@stny.rr.com (Joe Malloy)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:16:16 -0500
A quick n' dirty translation of the conclusion of the article:

Judgment:

Despite small deficiences the 526 is especially well suited for those with
VHF-DX ambitions and it is an interesting device when one is not interested
in HF, when 5 watts is too little power and one is eyeing 6 meter operation.
Keeping to legal limits is no problem with the 526.

To pure FM fans, though, the "6N2" cannot be recommended; to be sure, the
rig is outfitted well with memories but without 1750 cycle tone production
it not even to be considered here at home [that is, Germany].

Gigahertz fans might find the 526 to be useful with a rear connection to the
144 MHz output which presents a +5 dBm signal for further use in a
transverter.

The 526 in Europa?

Because Ten-Tec serves primarily the US market, they've left the
requirements of a [European] VHF all mode device simply out of the picture,
although in thickly populated central Europe, in comparison to America,
there is a great deal of 2 meter SSB activity.  So it's no surprise that
CE-certification is currently not planned -- especially because that
requires much more than just adjusting the firmware to reflect the 2 meter
band.

It remains thus a direct import, which, however, when ordering and paying
with a credit card operates without problem.  However the total cost
including 16% import tax at the current dollar rate places the unit in the
1800 DM area [about $850].  That and the fact that one cannot buy optional
CW filters makes this unit rather uninteresting.

--

Hope that helps!

73,

Joe, W2RBA