[TenTec] RFI Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RFI Problem
From: tomnorth@airmail.net (Tom North)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:23:07 -0600
While I had similar problems some time back, there are two things that
seemed to have made a difference.
First of all, when I relocated earlier this year, I took advantage of the
situation to establish a 'dedciated ground' for the shack. This amounts to
grounding rods set into my yard and all receptacles in the room are tied to
this, and separate from the rest of the house. I'm sure that there are those
that will point out that there are various code and insurance regulations
being violated here. This I am aware of. I also have the advice and services
of excellent electricians (we do high-end residential interior lighting and
control systems) and am confident that all this is done correctly. I am also
suspect that this may be the lesser of the culprits in your situation.
Coincidentally, around the time of the planning for and execution of the
move, the monitor that I was using in the shack crapped out. I came up with
a second hand NEC P750 that I have been using since. This one is a dual
input (computer and RGB) unit that was intended and marketed for
'professional' application. There is no interference that I can detect.While
I generally hold Compaq, Dell, Gateway et al in fairly high regard, I'd
suggest that you borrow or do whatever else is necessary to try a different
monitor in the installation.
Gear here is a TT and Kenwood blend, and everyone's happy.
Good Luck (skill?)
Tom  N5OZQ

"I have always tried to keep my ham radio separate from my computer because
I play on my radio and work on the computer.
Since putting a computer near my radio I have noticed that my computer
monitor is providing RFI for my ham rig.
I know its the monitor. The pitch and intensity of the RFI changes as I
change images on the monitor.
Monitor is a 19" Compaq, rig is a Ten Tec Delta II.

Any advice?

Bill"