[TenTec] Signal reports on PSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Signal reports on PSK
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:32:05 -0800
There was a letter awhile ago in QST describing a good method for signal
reports for PSK, and I use it.

The author recommended having the first number the percentage of copy as
reflected in 20 percent zones.  In other words, 80% or above copy is a '5',
50% copy is a '3', etc.

The second number was the true signal strength as measured on your S-meter,
i.e., S-5 was a '5'.

The third number reflected the absolute integer value of the IMD divided by
3, chosen because an IMD of -30 or better is considered perfect.  For
example, an IMD of -20 would be '6'.

So, using this system, a received signal that was 100% copyable, hitting S-6
on my meter and with an IMD of -25 would earn an RST of '568'.

I wish everyone would use this system as it very precisely gives the other
operator the information he needs to know about his signal.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net