[TenTec] Spurious Signal on Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Spurious Signal on Pegasus
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:55:09 -0800 (PST)
Mark,

After thinking about this some more I'm starting to
wonder if it is more of a IMD type of issue. I'm
thinking that the secondary weak signal is in reality
the DSP stage "demodulating" a spur generated by an
earlier stage. Again the "sliding window" design
aspect of the last (DSP) IF is probably a factor in
what you are seeing as well.

I did some playing around with a VERY strong signal
and did indeed note the 2 responses above and below
the desired signal +/- ~5.5KHz. If you use the PBT
control a on these secondary "signals" you may reach a
point were it's tone will suddenly jump, I attribute
that behavior to LO1 making one of its 2.5KHz
frequency steps. oddly enough though I only saw that
with one of the "spurs".

What I also noticed with this really strong signal
being feed to the Pegasus that it will also appear at
12 and 24 KHz away (both +/-), again I would
characterize these as IMD responses. I won't make any
guesses what the signal level was that I fed to the
Pegasus in order to see these responses because I have
no accurate way to measure it.

73,
Duane
N9DG