[TenTec] TT No. 1220 transceiver kit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT No. 1220 transceiver kit
From: wb2vuf@qsl.net (Bwana Bob)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:51:47 -0500
Hello, Ray,

I have the 1220 with the amplifier. It is fun to build, but  a little
quirky. Some users report the need to connect extra internal ground
wires to the power amp board. I had one problem: the CTCSS (PL) tone was
much too loud. I tinkered with it for a long time before I fixed it by
adding a bigger bypass capacitor to the VCO circuit. This cured the
problem completely.

It works great on packet. The receiver is a little broad if your area
has 15 kHz repeater spacing. I have not had any problems with intermod.

I can't recommend it for mobile use because the green LED display is not
sunlight readable.

The radio works fine and is easy to use an program. Its main problem is
the price. The last time I looked it was $195. For about $150 you can
get an import rig that has an LCD display, more memories, CTCSS decode,
DTMF mic, 50 w of power, etc. Its just not cost-effective, unless you
love kit building (which  I do).

                                        73,

                                Bob WB2VUF