[TenTec] Omni VI vs. Timewave DSP599zx

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI vs. Timewave DSP599zx
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:06:34 -0500
Is anyone using a Timewave DSP599zx with their Omni VI or another TT rig? I
started using mine for CW operation as the spotting tone in the 'zx is much
louder (adjustable) and easier to zero beat than the tone on the Omni VI. It
is also a push on / push off thing so it doesn't require the button to be
held while tuning.

The 'zx has a PTT input so that it can monitor when the radio is in TX. I
hooked up a Y connector between the TX Out and TX En jacks on my Omni (I
don't use an amp) and connected that to the PTT input on the 'zx.  The 'zx
is detecting PTT activity as one of the LEDs on the front panel flashes in
sync with my keying. However, the Omni's sidetone sounds very chopped when
going through the 'zx with the PTT input connected. If I disconnect the PTT
input, it sounds fine. Is there any reason to use the PTT input on the 'zx?

73,
Mark, N8ME