[TenTec] Orion Dynamic Range Specs

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Dynamic Range Specs
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:27:15 -1000
Hi,

Have just noticed that the TT folks have now "updated" the
published specs on the important dynamic range numbers.
Now list at the Orion web site the following:

"IP3: +25 dBm typical, 20-kHz spacing at BW=2.4 kHz, pre-amp off;
+24 dBm typical, 5-kHz spacing, BW=500 Hz, pre-amp off.

IMD3 dynamic range: 101 dB typical, pre-amp off, 20-kHz and
5-kHz spacing.

IP2: +75 dBm typical."

Note IMD3 number: 101 typical;  that is the best number I have
ever seen a manufacturer put down,  even as "just" a typical
for a commercial rig!!  This indicates that the front end,  analog
stages of the rig are as good,  or better than those in the famed
TT rcvr,  the RX-340.  The DSP stages by themselves,  down
at the last IF,  have a range of about 103 dB,  per Doug Smith;
so there is a typical "degradation" of only a couple dB by the
preceding analog,  wide open,  AGC free and AGC'd stages
(that is, to those stages following the operator selectable
roofing filter).

See the main rcvr block diagram at:

http://www.doug-smith.net/orionfig3.jpg

and the surrounding text at:

http://www.doug-smith.net/orion.htm

Will be interesting to learn of the overall IF gain numbers,  and
the AGC ranges used in both the analog and the DSP stages.
Note also that we are going to be able to  adjust the AGC
parameters!

This is really going to be quite a wonderful rcvr,  it appears!

Can hardly wait to operate one,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M