[TenTec] Omni VI mics

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI mics
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:25:21 +0000
I use the Heil Goldline with the wide and dx (HC4 I think) elements with my
VI opt. 3.   I get outstanding audio reports in narrow and wide.  It wasn't
always that way--I had big problems with rf getting into the Omni on my
audio when I first went on the air.  Giving the rig a decent ground and
putting 3 split bead ferrite chokes on the mic cord at the input to the rig
cleaned everything up.  I also have a 1:1 unun (a.k.a. common mode filter or
line isolator) in the coax feedline going out of the rig to keep rf from
getting back to the Omni on the coax shield.  I am convinced the secret to
great audio is keeping rf out of it.  Once you have done that, then you can
mess around with equalizers, compressors, expanders, and fold, staple and
spindle your audio.   Too many guys who get poor audio repts. go out and buy
an eq. or a new mic but the real prob. isn't fixed.  Sorry for the sermon--I
get carried away.  Anyway, I have no experience with or knowledge of the Ten
Tec mic; I'm sure it's a great microphone and works quite well since it was
designed by TT to work with their own gear.  I did not choose it because I
wanted a mic I could mount on a boom or a long gooseneck holder and I
thought the one-piece construction of the Ten Tec desk mic (similar to the
Shure 444 in that regard) would have made it cumbersome to do what I wanted
to do.

73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ