[TenTec] Jupiter Noise Blanker Curiosity - Problem and Solution

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Noise Blanker Curiosity - Problem and Solution
From: mnewell1@austin.rr.com (Michael A. Newell, WB4HUC)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:07:07 -0600
Well, I jumped the gun with my first posting. I should have
looked into the problem a little more before I sent the
message.

Since I provide technical support for software for a living,
you'd think I could analyze my own problems a little more
thoroughly before I speak out.

Anyway, here's the deal:

Using the Jupiter stand alone, the noise blanker works
fine.

When I started the PC control software, the noise blanker got
turned off.

When I exited the PC software the noise blanker was still
turned off even though the Jupiter menu setting showed that
it was on.

When I entered the Jupiter menu and scrolled down to the Noise
Blanker item, the radio turned the NB back on, and all was
well.

I use the N4PY software, and after communicating with Carl,
here's what he found out:

The radio was not responding properly to the noise blanker
commands in Pegasus Emulation Mode. He was able to
change the commands to the native Jupiter noise blanker
commands and get around the problem.

So this is a Jupiter firmware problem, not a control software
problem. With the latest version of the executable that Carl
sent me, the NB is working.

I emailed Carl about this last night at 2300 his time, and when
I came in this morning and checked my emails about 0900
my time, he had made these changes and sent me an updated
version of the software to try. Now THAT's customer service.

I'm sure he'll be notifying Ten Tec about the firmware issue,
but since they're busy with Argonaut V and Orion production,
it's unkown when they'll address this Jupiter firmware issue.

Don't forget the 20m net today at 2130Z on 14.330mhz. Ed,
W4WVW is today's net control.

73,

Mike - WB4HUC
Austin, TX