[TenTec] SWR, and meters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SWR, and meters
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Wed Jan 29 21:08:44 2003
Interesting posting with good info, Jerry - thanks. As I tried to make
clear, my points were based upon assumption that the SWR instrument
truly measured SWR correctly and that is was not being influenced by
such extraneous factors as common-mode current.

I have used a number of meters of varying provenance over the years,
and I keep coming back to the Bird as the most practical and most
likely to produce usable, if not 100% correct results in the real
world.

I recently have acquired an HP 436A Power Meter which has given me a
means for checking the calibration of my Bird 43 HF slug. I was
pleased to see that it was well within tolerance. My next step is to
evaluate the directivity since the 436A with one of the sensors is
capable or +/- 0.5% accuracy at 0.3 microwatts.

If the findings are interesting, I drop you a note . . .

Fortunately, the Icom PRO "SWR" meters appear to be done "right" in
that they are placed appropriately in the antenna tuner circuitry and
use a microcomputer (part of the internal automatic tuner control) to
calculate "SWR" based upon current and voltage readings taken on a
controlled-impedance line. Resistance and reactance are
measured/calculated separately as is forward and reverse power. I
don't know what the effective directivity is, but I suspect that it is
more than adequate for the task. Incidentally, the PROs, like the
preceding generation IC-765, still use motor-driven variable caps for
the actual tuning operation.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
K2 #489  IC-765 #2349 IC-756 PRO  #2121 IC-756 PRO2 #3235