[TenTec] Omni VI 9MHz IF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI 9MHz IF
From: csturner@slonet.org (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Mon Feb 3 03:18:57 2003
On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 11:38 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> Hi Clark,
>
> Thanks for the information. This makes better sense than another reply
> I had received. So if I understand you correctly, the later version has
> two buttons for the 9 MHz filter selection that allow the following
> three 9 Mhz filter combinations:
> 1) The 2.4 kHz wide standard 9 MHz filter only
> 2) The 2.4 kHz standard filter cascaded with number 1 optional  narrow
> 9 MHz filter
> 3) The 2.4 kHz standard filter cascaded with number 2 optional narrow 9
> MHz filter
> When neither the N1 or N2 button is lighted, you are using mode 1,
> above.

Exactly.  So you will have 8 poles (standard filter) engaged all the
time, but when optional filters are engaged, you get one of them
cascaded in that 9 MHz IF (16 poles normally).

> And in the 6.3 MHz IF only three buttons are used to select between the
> following four options:
>
> 1) The 2.4 kHz wide 6.3 MHz IF filter
> 2) The 1.8 kHz wide 6.3 MHz IF filter
> 3) The  0.5 kHz wide 6.3 MHz IF filter
> 4) The 0.25 kHz wide 6.3 MHz filter
>
> The 6.3 MHz IF filters are never cascaded (not with other 6.3 MHz IF
> filters, though there is always one of the three 9 MHz filter
> combinations listed above being used) and when none of the 1.8, .50,
> .25 buttons is lighted you are then using the 2.4 kHz 6.3 MHz IF filter.

Yes.

> Of course all of the above assumes that all the optional filter slots
> are filled, and the filters (excepting the 2.4 kHz 9 MHz IF standard
> filter) could be different bandwidths than stated above.

Yes.  Now, I have replaced the stock Ten Tec 2.4 filters with INRAD
2.8's, but that is not a real difference.  You can get INRAD 10 pole 2.4
filters in there, too, or even 2.1's, but the scheme stays the same
(different filter characteristics for sure, though.)

73

Clark
WA3JPG