[TenTec] Argonaut V mic

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V mic
From: w8keb@1st.net (Ken & Linda Burrough)
Date: Mon Feb 24 08:47:25 2003
Hi All

Tom--AH6ZZ wrote---"My ALC doesn't seem to be
consistant -- more importantly though, if I put it
anywhere beyond 9 o'clock I get reports of overdriven
audio." and Bob--K4TAX stated---"Turn the mike gain up to the point where
the ALC light flashes but is not
"on" with all words and syllables.  Once at this level this is the correct
level for your voice, your mike-to-mouth position and your "voice volume"."

Both of these gentlemen are right.  On my Argonaut V anytime I get the Mic
gain above the 9 o'clock position I start to get distortion.  I use the
Ten-Tec 705 Desk Mic with my Argo 5 and with the gain set at 9 o'clock I get
good reports.  Yesterday W4PA called me when I was trying to set up the mic
gain on the Argo and said " I was 5-8 at his QTH" and the audio sounded
good.  I was using 20 watts and my GAP Challenger Vertical on battery power.
I still have to find the right setting for the Speech Processor and Vox
Gain.  At that time the Argo 5 should have great audio and be very
consistent.

Scott thanks for the call and start teaching your Daughter CW, she will be a
great contester with you as the TEACHER.  I enjoyed talking to her
yesterday.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio