[TenTec] Re: ARRL Rcvr 3rd and 2nd IPs Test Methods

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: ARRL Rcvr 3rd and 2nd IPs Test Methods
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed Mar 5 19:24:27 2003
And,  Ed also asked that his second reply to me be posted
to the reflector.  That is the post to which I most recently
responded which contains much of his remarks,  but with
a lot of my stuff tossed in.  Here is Ed's post without all
my jibberish tossed in:

"
Hi, Jim,

Thanks for the followup. I am still waiting for my tentec@contesting.com
subscription to be authorized by the moderator, so my post is actually in
limbo.  I imagine it will show up soon, or I can repost it once I am
official.  If this one shows up but not the original, I will repost, so
everybody can figure out more about what we are talking about. :-)

I am glad we are moving towards a meeting of the minds.  And do feel free to
disagree with my conclusions. I have given this matter a LOT of thought,
over my entire time at ARRL HQ and think I have the right balance and
methods to test what is sometimes a moving target -- real-world receivers.

The only sticking point appears to be dynamic range.  Most agree that
testing IP3 at a level somewhere in the AGC range of the receiver is the
best test, although I don't think that most hams understand how and why IP3
varies in real receivers based on signal levels. If nothing else comes of
this, understanding that may help hams to stop quibbling over a dB or two.

Those who work with high-level mixers and/or visualize receivers whose
non-linearities follow a classic response tend to think in terms that noise
floor, dynamic range and IP3 are all precisely related.  Ulrich, for
example, whose opinion I greatly respect, has stated that dynamic range can
be calculated from the noise floor and an IP3 measurement made at a high
level.  When you consider that the formula ends up assuming that the
1st-order and 3rd-order responses are 1:1 and 3:1 sloped and makes a
calculation for the levels at the noise floor of the receiver, it is, IMHO,
more accurate to make a measurement at the noise floor because it can be
done. No one has yet convinced me that making a measurement at a higher
level and assuming ideal slopes of lines that are probably not ideal is a
better way to determine dynamic range than actually making a measurement
that can be made accurately.

Of course, one must always remember that Product Review is dealing with a
sample of one. IP is really a very nebulous number for a number of reasons,
and I have just scratched the surface in my explanations.  When we are
dealing wtih receiver intermod with receivers that are linear over 90-110
dB, look at how small a deviation from perfection a linear range of 100 dB
would be. Differences of fractions of fractions of a percent in the non
linearity of a mixer can make tens of dB of difference in the dynamic range.
And if a manufacturer derives his IP3 from the measured linearity and the
specified recevier sensitivity and makes a receiver more sensitive than the
spec, but whose linearity is as specified, the IP3 calculated from the
actual measurements is lower than the spec.  So if they make a better
receiver, it doesn't "meet spec."

So what DOES it all mean? It means that one needs to evaluate the overall
performance of a receiver, not necessarily stack them up against each other
in a number by number comparison over dBs that are a moving target at best.

And I do recall you now at dinner; I hadn't associated your call with the
pleasant chat we had. It is always nice to put that face to the name,
because having met someone is a much better indicator of who they are than
words on a screen. :-)

Did you get a Certifi-Cat for working the TT2?

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI