[TenTec] Mike for Ten Tec OMNI V?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Mike for Ten Tec OMNI V?
From: gw7lhi@hotmail.com (MW0CDO)
Date: Sat Mar 15 08:25:16 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "Doc K0EVZ" <dock0evz@earthlink.net>
To: "qrp-l reflector" <qrp-l@Lehigh.edu>; "Ten-Tec Relector"
<tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 2:00 AM

> Gang:
>
> Just wondering--What would be a good mike for the Ten-Tec OMNI V rig?  I
> have an old Kenwood MC-50.  Works okay but it is rather unwieldy.
>
> But what about a headphone-type mike? Any recommendations would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> 73,
> --Doc/K0EVZ

Hi Doc.

I use a $5 call centre headset / boom mic combo, originally sold here in the
U.K. for telephone helpline centres.
I don't know who actually manufactured it! They are readily available over
here at every hamfest, often you can get 2 sets for $5 equivalent.

It's very light, and has a condenser mic insert plus two earphones.

I can wear it for hours without problems.

To make it work with the OMNI V, I cut off the 3.5mm plug for the
microphone, connected it to a mic plug, added an 18Kohm resistor between the
mic power pin and the mic audio input pin on the mic plug.
The headphones are plugged into the phones socket on the front of the OMNI,
using a 3.5mm > 6.3mm adapter.

I get many unsolicited compliments on the TX audio quality.

I run this with the OMNI processor on and the mic gain at around 1 o' clock.

And beats the pants off paying Uncle Bob Heil's prices, which are the same
numeric value in GB pounds as they are in US dollars.. so a proset here
costs around ukpounds 130, assuming exchange rate is 1gbp = 1.5 usd that
makes it almost 200 bucks.. yow!
I'm sure they are very good, but 200 US Dollars worth of good??
Gimme my $5 wonder any day!

Paul MW0CDO.

PS: I have no axe to grind with Bob, I've met him and he's a very nice guy,
knows an awful lot about audio.
I used to play the same game as he did many years ago.. well, at least 20
anyway!