[TenTec] Re: ArkieCon

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: ArkieCon
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Sun Mar 16 14:09:35 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "Max Moon" <maxmoon@umn.edu>
To: "George, W5YR" <w5yr@att.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 12:05 PM
Subject: ArkieCon

> George--
> Did I understand Jay B's announcement correctly--that you will be
available
> during ArkieCon to help test and/or align wattmeters & K2 filter
bandwidths?

Almost but not quite, Max, so let me try to clear up any misunderstanding.

The main function of the demo/service that our NETXQRP group will be
providing Saturday evening after the BBQ is the measurement of power output
of transmitters and thereby the calibration of wattmeters, transmitter
internal power settings, etc. We are not equipped to actually do meter
calibrations, however. Our role is to show you what power you are actually
delivering so that you can see how well your wattmetter or internal power
reading (as with the K2) agrees with the precision power meter I will be
using.

I will also also have a laptop computer running a rather sophisticated
spectral analysis program that will enable us to show the IF/audio response
spectrum of a receiver. The key word here is "SHOW" the spectrum. We are not
equipped, nor would there likely be time, to actually do a K2 or other
receiver filter alignment. Out intent is to provide a look at the actual
response of the receiver so that the owner can judge whether or not any
further alignment is needed.

I regret that any false hopes were raised by Jay's enthusiastic and very
flattering announcement, but considering the limited time, etc. there is
just no way that we can do much more than use our available instrumentation
to show folks what their rigs are actually doing.

Of course, if a WM-2 is "off" and the owner wants to calibrate it there, we
will work with him as best we can to check the effect of adjustments until
the calibration is acceptable. The thing we have to avoid is having a
situation develop where 20 guys are waiting in line to have their rigs
checked and one unfortunate fellow is taking 15 minutes to adjust his WM-2!
<:}

We will do everything we can to be of help, but actual alignment and "hands
on" work on equipment will be the responsibility of the owner.

Hope you don't think that we are being too "pesky" but I don't want to raise
expectations above what we can reasonably deliver.

Thanks for asking, Max . . .

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>