[TenTec] Fw: Orion & FSK/AFSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: Orion & FSK/AFSK
From: K9RB@bellsouth.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Fri Apr 4 08:35:53 2003
Agreed! And...if you're AFSK signal has hum, hiss, and /or feedback
distortion from RF introduced into the audio, it makes it so much more
difficult to copy on the receiving end. Anybody who operates RTTY has
experienced attempts to copy a S9 RTTY signal and not get enough clean
readout to figure out the other stations callsign unless listening over
numerous attempts and piecing it together. This is AFSK.....never happens
with FSK! TS-950SDX and some other fine rigs use true FSK but they seem to
be a dying breed with all the sound card emulation's of RTTY today forcing
manufacturers towards what is easy and less expensive to implement. Lets
face it, CW and RTTY are slowly dying, as some of us old timers are also,
but the newly designed rigs of today are also helping with the demise of
these modes, not mentioning brand names but some with poor keying and
prominent key-clicks, others lacking provisions for FSK. Frustrations set in
for newcomers trying these modes, only to have them soon give up and go back
to the PC's and microphones. Old timers see that things don't work as easily
as they once did and many also go in different directions. Sometimes newer
is not necessarily better. Thats what is sad.
-=Rog-K9RB=-