[TenTec] Possible Orion firmware enhancements

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Possible Orion firmware enhancements
From: mnewell1@austin.rr.com (Michael A. Newell, WB4HUC)
Date: Fri Apr 4 13:39:59 2003
Is it too soon to start thinking about possible
enhancements to the Orion?

I was thinking it would be nice if the memories
stored filter bandwidth and tuning step size
as well as mode and frequency.  If you're in
SSB mode and recall a CW frequency it would
be nice to have the filter and tuning step set for
you too.

And if we got really fancy, we could bring up a
menu somewhere that would let us store default
modes, filters,  and tuning steps for particular frequency
ranges. Then as you change frequencies or
as you're dialing up and down the bands as you
move from the CW to the Digital to the phone
portions of the bands the modes, filters, and tuning
steps would change automatically. Carl, N4PY's
software (and others I'm sure) do this very handily,
but I'd like the radio to be able to do it too. Saves
a lot of button pushing and knob turning.

Boy, now we're on a roll. What about a set of say,
40 discreet channels, between 26.965 and 27.405 mhz,
with max output of 5w AM and 12w PEP on SSB?

Ok, ok, I'm just pulling your legs with that last one.
No spam or hate mail, please.

Anyway, I was just thinking about how to add even
more user-friendliness to the radio, and those two
are what I came up with.

73,

Mike - WB4HUC
Austin, TX