[TenTec] Slightly OT: SSB vs AM

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Slightly OT: SSB vs AM
From: n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Tue Apr 22 21:34:36 2003
Mark,

I'm glad you brought up the SSTV analogy.  The problem is very similar.  You
have a certain amount of information to send.  If you cut the frequencies in
half and keep the time the same, I don't believe things will sound very good
when you restore the proper pitch.  Remember it takes twice as long to send
one cycle of a sine wave at 500 hertz as it does to send one cycle of a sine
wave at 1000 hertz.  So, if you converted a 1000 hertz tone that was 1 cycle
long to 500 hertz and sent it, you could only send a half cycle in the same
time.  This is a simple example but I think it shows the problem of severe
fidelity loss.  I think this is one case where you get what you "pay" for.

Your example of restoring the pitches involves fancy digital algorithms to
achieve.  I think this might be where transmitting voice digital audio is
heading but so far the required data rate to send a digital signal requires
much more bandwidth than the original analog audio you started with.  SSB
still wins in the bandwidth verses fidelity category.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC