[TenTec] Model 301 Fan KIt

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Model 301 Fan KIt
From: wg6h@postoffice.pacbell.net (Bill Miner)
Date: Thu May 1 03:04:26 2003
Bill,

I too just received my 301 fan kit today and read the same remark in the
instructions.

My experience so far with the ORION is that the PA heat sink stays
pretty cool during casual operation and  even general rag chewing.  I
have not operated in any contests and have not used any digital modes
yet.

It seems to me that if you do mount the fan kit you should probably keep
it plugged in and operating as it does block air movement to the cooling
fins while in place. I believe it may tend to restrict natural
convection cooling.

A quick test shows the fan to be fairly quiet but it is nearly silent
when operating on 6 volts instead of 13.8 volts.  It still moves a fair
amount of air and seems to start reliably at 6 volts. If you are really
bothered by fan noise another solution could be to build a simple
temperature controller for the fan or maybe just build a control circuit
that would have the fan run only while transmitting. Sounds like a good
QST construction article for someone to write.

73,
Bill - K6WLM