[TenTec] Omni VI option 0

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI option 0
From: andrew.m.moore@verizon.net (Andrew Moore)
Date: Tue May 6 18:25:55 2003
> I have come across an Omni VI option 0, I guess you would call it, being

Years ago I had one of these, shortly after they
came out, before they started doing all the confusing
option stuff.  I loved the radio.  The CW TX had a
bit of a harsh sound because of the sharp rise time
on the signal (common to all Omni 6's), but W9AC has
posted a simple mod that supposedly solves this.
You'd probably be thrilled with the rig.  I too
considered an Omni 6 again as soon as I found out
about W9AC's mod, because the hard keying was my
only complaint, but now I'm really determined to
get the Elecraft because I think it's better suited
to my needs (high performance CW) and slightly
cheaper, and I love Elecraft's philosphy and
mindset.  It's like what Ten Tec used to be (I love
ten tec but I think they peaked back in the Triton
and Corsair days, can't say I'm fond of the modern
products).  Elecraft seems to have filled that void.
That said, it's a great rig!

I strung up a 40 meter dipole in the attic today and
it's far better than the hamstick that I put out the
window on the end of your (my) Triton 544.  The radio
is doing just great, and I'm eager to try it out on
the new antenna later this evening when I have time.
I did manage to work W1AW yesterday, which was fun.
When I do finally get a K2, I'm going to have to hang
onto this 544.

--Andrew Moore / NV1B
andrew.m.moore@verizon.net