[TenTec] Orion Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Question
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Tue May 13 19:53:13 2003
Carl, N4PY wrote:

"If the radio is in CW mode, you can simply press PTT and it will key as
you suggested."
----------
Great!!
==========

"I am working very hard right now writing my N4PY Orion Control Program.
I actually have a very early version running right now.  These little
inconveniences are exactly the type of things my software will make much
easier."
----------
After I learn the Orion and become more familiar with it I plan to write
some freeware utility programs for like I did for the FT-1000MP.
==========

Grant, NQ5T wrote:

"You may simply want to read the manual section on the TUNE button.

"Press TUNE and you will get carrier, reduced to about 20% of full
output.  If you then (or first) press PWR, TUNE will give you the
constant variable carrier (min to max output) you need for tuning up an
amp using the MULTI control.  You need to have PWR selected to the MULTI
control to give you variable output to adjust drive to your amp anyway."
----------
There were no front panel photos with the downloaded manual, so I missed
the TUNE button.

I finally found paragraph 3.8.4 which explains it.  That's easier than
using PTT in the CW mode because 3.8.4 says, "It [TUNE] keys the
transmitter in CW mode, regardless of the operating mode selected."

Thanks also for the info about pressing PWR and using the MULTI control
to vary the drive to the amp.

I'll probably spend a day or so with the radio hooked up to a dummy load
on the kitchen table getting familiar with the various functions before I
hook it up to an antenna.  Eager to get started :-)

Thanks to all who replied.

73, de Earl, K6SE