[TenTec] Displays and CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Displays and CW
From: w3uls@3n.net (John Rippey)
Date: Mon May 19 20:09:46 2003
Someone mentioned that a color display is of no use if you're color blind.
This got me to wondering whether having a display on a transceiver used
mainly on CW is not counterproductive in the sense that it could prove a
distraction for the op. I've heard that good CW ops can pick out signals
below the receiver's noise floor. To do that, you would have to be focused
on what is coming out of the headphones to the exclusion of all else, it
seems to me . . .

So unless the op is a big league multi-tasker, perhaps he/she is better
off--for CW anyway--not to have a screen to look at, no matter whether it's
in color or a monotone. Maybe that's why some CW ops swear by their OMNI
VIs, K-2s, etc.

73,
John, W3ULS