[TenTec] RF Feedback on Omni VI (opt 3)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RF Feedback on Omni VI (opt 3)
From: george.skoubis@verizon.net (George Skoubis)
Date: Tue May 20 22:12:15 2003
Larry,

  Thanks for the concern about the RF levels.  I didn't mention in my
note that my antenna is on a short mast on a 50 ft tower.  My tower is
right outside my shack window though so I am still right underneath it
although it's at least 38 ft above me.

  I used the University of Texas (Austin) RF safety calculator
http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/rfsafety.cgi to calculate my RF
exposure levels.  I used an average power of 1000 watts (this is way
higher than a real average power rating 1500 watts X 40% CW duty factor
X 67% maximum transmitting time 10 minutes listening 20 minutes
transmitting = 400 watts), antenna gain of 2.2 dbi (equivalent to a
dipole since it is a dipole from below, the director and reflector focus
RF mainly in a horizontal plane) and an operating frequency of 28 mhz
(the worst HF frequency for RF exposure).  The safe distance given by
this calculation is 39.86 feet in an uncontrolled environment and 17.85
feet in a controlled environment.

  This is still probably too close for my computer, and I would like to
get the antenna farther away from my shack, but I am on a city lot and
this is where my xyl and I could agree on and stay away from the power
lines.

  We just bought 4.5 acres of land at the edge of town and I will be
putting up a larger tower much farther away from the shack when we build
there in a few years (will be a great opportunity for putting in a great
ground system and some nice low band antennas as well) but I feel the
antenna is at a safe distance for now...

  I do agree with your recommendation of the Radioworks line isolators,
I have two of them inline as well as one on my 12V line and while they
may be overkill they certainly aren't hurting anything and as long as my
signal sounds good I'm not going to remove them!

Thanks again for the suggestions and sorry for implying that the antenna
was on the roof right above the shack...

73 de George / KF9YR