[TenTec] Ten-Tec Orion - Initial Impressions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Orion - Initial Impressions
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 21 12:09:57 2003
Bill, W4ZV wrote:

"I've been an MP user since 1997 and have never done it that way.  I just
hit A>B, Split (or more likely Dual) and then tuned the Sub-VFO/TX to
wherever the guy was listening."
----------
That's almost the way you have to set up for split with the Orion (except
instead of pressing "Split", on the Orion you must press the button(s)
which assign tx or rx to VFO  A and VFO B).  (In my post I said the first
step was to press A/B, but I really meant A>B, BTW.)

On the MP, all I have to do is one buttonpress -- the Split button.  A>B
is not needed because pressing Split puts VFO B up 5 kHz from VFO A, even
if the two VFOs are initially on different bands.

It appears that your need to press A>B on the MP is that you have menu
item 8-2 set to "Norm" or "Auto".  If the two VFOs are on different
bands, neither of those settings will do any good unless you als press
A>B.

However, if you set menu item 8-2 to "A=B", then when you press "Split"
it is not necessary to press A>B, even if the two VFOs are on different
bands.  Menu item 1-6 (split offset) is active only when menu item 8-2 is
set to "A=B".  Just set menu item 1-6 to whatever offset (+/-100 kHz) you
want.
==========

"I never used the preset offset because almost every pileup is
different."
----------
With menu item 8-2 set to "A=B" and menu item 1-6 set to "0" (zero), when
you press "Split" it puts VFO B on the same freq and mode as VFO A, and
it lights the red tx LED on the sub VFO.  All you have to do is tune the
sub VFO to the offset for that particular occasion.

Since "up 5" is used by so many DX stations, I chose to set menu item 1-6
to "5".
==========

"Is there not a simple way to assign TX to the Sub-VFO in Orion?"  I
would normally want to use the Main RX in Orion for the DX station
(because of its better characteristics) and the Sub/TX to tune the pileup
itself."
There are front panel buttons on the Orion that accomplish exactly the
same thing as the MP's "RX" and "TX" LED pushbuttons on the MP.  The
placement of these buttons (and their color) makes more sense on the MP
than it does for the Orion.  (On the Orion, they are located below the S
meter instead of by the VFOs.)

73, de Earl, K6SE