[TenTec] Power Supply Damage Control

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Power Supply Damage Control
From: MHarton@freedomforum.org (Marcus Harton)
Date: Thu May 22 08:19:25 2003
Here's an ugly pilot error story.

I was sorting out my station coax bird's nest over the weekend when I
dropped a cable behind the model 252 power supply connected to my
Omni-D. Did I mention that the radio was powered up at the time?

As luck (and Murphy) would have it, the pl-259 on the end of the dropped
cable fell into contact with the case of the power transistor on the
heat sink in the rear of the PS. The shield of that cable was grounded.
I got a pretty impressive spark out of it before it quit working. The PS
fuse and the rig's fuse were both good.

I replaced the power transistor because it tested open between all
contacts. But there's more work to be done. There's still no output.
I've got to get a schematic for this PS and see what else got fried.

If anyone's been down this trail before, I'd be grateful for any advice
I can get (beyond "Be more careful with your coax.)

Thanks & 73,

Marcus nz4e