[TenTec] FCC Letters for "Enhanced SSB"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FCC Letters for "Enhanced SSB"
From: csegar@mindspring.com (Cliff)
Date: Tue May 27 20:34:48 2003
At 06:18 PM 5/27/2003 -0400, Mark <mark.rauchfuss@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I think that anyone who uses "enhanced SSB" needs to have their blasted head
>examined anyway. Go cry elsewhere.

Let's make sure we make amateur radio totally undesirable for anything new
to the (hobby) service. If it isn't already invented and in common use then
it should be totally unacceptable to us and the FCC. My 'made in USA'
TenTec doesn't have a button labeled E-SSB and none of them thar
Yea-Com-Wood rice boxes have it either.

Folks, this isn't really TenTec related except that anything that starts
inhibiting one of the basic purposes for the establishment of amateur radio
from the beginning should get each and every one of us fired up. Quoting
from Part 97 - Amateur Radio Service, 97.1 Basis and purpose, The rules and
regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio service
having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:
 (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
contribute to the advancement of the radio art.
 (c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules
which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical
phases of the art.
 (d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service
of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

Three out of the five reasons for the very existence of amateur radio have
to do with experimentation; innovation, what would happen if, I hope this
doesn't let the smoke out. Good grief, Doug Smith trying to cram 'toll
quality' voice into a narrow digital signal with enough spare bits left
over to send real time data along should be heralded as a break through the
same as getting high fidelity, concert quality from something that the old
timers in the early 60s shunned because it sounded "like it came out of the
back end of a duck." Yes - our predecessors really thought that SSB should
be banned from the airwaves. Its good that the narrow minded got booed out
of the party then and I hope that anyone (including the FCC) that boo's
"advancing skills in technical phases of the art" gets throw out of the
party each and every time. If I ever get to the point that I feel I own my
sliver of all of our bandwidth and nobody can try anything innovative on
'my frequency" then it's time all y'all (folks in Sevierville know what
that means) tear down my tower and auction off my rigs because I don't
belong in a service that has brought marvelous innovations to the world
totally because of our passion for pushing the art of radio past imagined
limits.

Flame on
Exit soap box mode.
Cliff - KD4GT/EM74qa