[TenTec] Orion Updates - Caution

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Updates - Caution
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Fri May 30 23:23:56 2003
I previously posted the problems I was having with the AGC, NR and NB on
my new Orion.  I began having a new (real) problem several days ago with
my xtal filters, so in desperation I did a MASTER RESET to see if that
would cure the new filter problem.  It didn't, but it apparently cured
the AGC, NR and NB problems I was having.

The day after I received the new radio which had update v1.337 loaded
into it, I updated it with v1.342 (and subsequently to v1.342).  The
update program came with a "How To" file which said to press USER1 while
powering up and then run the program and load the new version into the
radio -- it didn't say to do anything else after loading the new version.

Yesterday I re-read paragraph 3.17 on page 3-20 of the Orion manual and
it said to press RECALL while powering up and then run the program to
load the update.  There probably is nothing significant about whether you
use USER1 or RECALL to prepare for the update, but maybe this is:

The manual says to power down the radio after loading the update and then
power it up again while pressing MAIN RX/TX to do a MASTER RESET, while
the "How To" file does not say anything about this!

I can't help but think that my AGC, NR and NB problems were caused by not
doing a MASTER RESET after loading the updates and that those problems
went away when I finally did do one!

Doing a MASTER RESET after doing an update requires that you go back into
the menus and change all of those things to set up for your particular
circumstances,
but that may be better than the headaches it might cause you if you don't
do the MASTER RESET.

The [pseudo] problems I had were really not noticeable in the SSB modes,
but they certainly were in the narrow bandwidth CW modes.

Meanwhile, my Orion has gone back to Ten-Tec to correct the real problem
it developed.  With the optional filter C.F. offsets adjusted correctly,
I cannot vary my sidetone/spot pitch too much from the factory default of
670 Hz without getting a lot of attenuation through the optional filters.
 At 670 Hz, my 500 Hz xtal filter has no nonticeable attenuation and my
250 Hz xtal filter has about 10 to 15 dB of attenuation.  Before the
problem occurred, that same amount of attenuation was constant throughout
the entire pitch range of 310 to 1210 Hz.  Since the new problem
occurred, when I have the pitch set to 310 Hz the attenuation using the
500 Hz xtal filter is about 20 dB and it's greater than 60 dB when using
the 250 Hz xtal filter.  Ten-Tec says that's not right, so the radio is
on its way back to them.

73, de Earl, K6SE