[TenTec] My Orion's "Dial" Accuraccy

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My Orion's "Dial" Accuraccy
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed Jun 4 17:47:03 2003
Hi,

Posted the following about 90 minutes ago,  after the
radio had been ON for about 90 minutes at that time.

> Sitting here now watching the accuracy of the Orion sub
> rcvr,  using the method George,  W5YR described earlier
> today.  At turn on,  the indicated inaccuracy was about
> -17 Hz,  as the rig warmed, it drifted upwards reaching to
> about + 20 Hz.  Now after about 90 minutes,  the reading
> is 1027.0,  or 27 Hz high.  Am going to let this run on
> for a few hours.

For the last hour+,  the indicated MixW signal is at 1026.5 Hz.
The rig is set to LSB,  and the tuning reads 10.001.000,  or
1 kHz above WWVH.

So,  I take it via George's method,  my readout is 26.5 Hz too
high.

The Orion's two receivers are coherent in that a single frequency
reference is used. It is a temperature-compensated crystal
oscillator (TCXO) that drives both the sub receiver's phase-
locked loop (PLL) and the main receiver's direct digital
synthesis (DDS) LO.

Presumably then,  both rcvr's indicated frequency readout's
are high by this same amount.  Of course,  by ear,  when I
return the rcvr mode to AM,  I can tell no change in the signal
whatsoever with the RIT moved + or - 20 or 30 Hz.