[TenTec] Questions about Argonaut V

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Questions about Argonaut V
From: w8keb@1st.net (Ken & Linda Burrough)
Date: Sun Jun 8 09:36:46 2003
Hi Bill

I read your request for info on the Argonaut V last night and could not
answer then.  I must say I agree with Larry's first Paragraph below, I do
not belong to other groups covering Ten-Tec equipment.

My Argonaut V is from the First Production Run and is the TCXO model.  I
ordered the Fan Kit and this is needed when using PSK-31 at full power.  I
also have the 307B speaker and if you want to really do the SWL bit I
recommend it.  Since I have or had other Ten-Tec equipment I have the 705
desk mic, the Argo comes with a hand mic but the 705 makes is nice to just
talk using vox and not pick up the mic.

On CW the DSP filters work well and the QSK is very good.  On SSB I get
reports of good audio and with care, I can keep from overdriving the audio
circuit.

The Arognaut V DOES NOT HAVE THE FOLLOWING:

RF Gain Control, I do not miss this, however, it would be nice to have under
some conditions.

DSP Noise Reduction, This is something I use all the time on my Jupiter.  My
SG-2020 ADSP2 has a very good NR circuit, also SGC included a Auto Notch
which I must say works better then any other I have had or used.  SGC AN
will take out a carrier in CW with out taking out the CW.  This is a small
circuit board that SGC sells with instructions on how to install it in the
Argonaut V.  I am waiting for the CQ report on the installation in the
Argonaut V before ordering.  By the way the down load file is on the SGC
WebPages with complete instructions to install it in the Argonaut V.

Do you need the above, in a word, NO.  I have used my Argonaut V since Oct
2002 without them and get along fine.

If and when you get one, read the manual, I can't say that enough, read the
manual.  Some things on the Argo are different and require time to reprogram
your brain.

The Argonaut V along with the Jupiter are the best buys going now, I am
ready to go on 60 meters now with Carl N4PY's program which works on both
the Argo and Jupiter, I use Carl's program on CW using the Computer
Keyboard.  If you have a computer in the radio room I recommend this
program.

All in all, the Argonaut V is a very good radio and will stay current with
the changes in Ham radio for years to come.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio
w8keb@arrl.net