[TenTec] RFI update

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RFI update
From: wa2bpe@infoblvd.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Thu Jun 12 12:38:51 2003
If the 'puter is out of warranty, replacing the typical cheap pwr receptacle
with one of the "Corcom type" units (the ones with the built-in dual-Pi
filters) may help for EMI getting out via that route (I hv seen a few supplies
with them already installed).  I am sure Ed will agree that one has to track
down all the exit routes and zap them one by one.  In my experience, monitors
are some of the worst offenders for direct radiation as shielding is often
non-existant or a joke.  What bothers me most today about computers is the
recent trend to plastic cases or cases with windows - can be interesting to
look at the insides, but a disaster for EMI.  BTW, with my homemade
"clone", I burnished all the contact points on the case (common to find paint
there) and added additional screws to bottle things up.

73,

Tom - WA2BPE