[TenTec] SPAM & VIRUSES

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SPAM & VIRUSES
From: larrylg2@hotmail.com (LARRY GREENBERG, N5BEA)
Date: Thu Jun 19 17:02:52 2003
Of course, There is a facility that I visit in one of the largest cities in
the US.  This is the kind of place that has rows of Linux based servers all
in neat racks, big air conditioners and emergency generators. It is located
at the junction point of two major fiber optics networks.  Each day, prior
to distribution , a minimum of 135,000, spam and virus files are removed,
that is deleted prior to data distribution.

The filtering is minimal.  There is no way to gage the amount of unwanted
data enter the Linux based servers.  They are resistant to infections but
when infected, fixes are usually non-existent.  This means hard disk
formatting and redundant systems to facilitate minimum down time at xx
thousand dollars per hour.

Linux is a great system. I use it for many operations.  I believe Mapper was
tremendous, the answer to all problems when Sperry developed it back in the
80's .  Do you recall the name  of the Operating System developed for DEC?

The point is : So What?

Larry Greenberg, N5BEA