[TenTec] HP GPS Receiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] HP GPS Receiver
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Fri Jun 20 10:06:49 2003
At 09:45 AM 6/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Eric,
>
>Thanks - but does the antenna need a ground plane? I suspect it was designed
>to mount on a vehicle roof which would act as a GP. On the K8CU website, one
>person mentioned mounting in a pie plate or such.  I received no
>instructions with my antenna.

Hi, different Eric here...

As often is the case, it is a matter of RTing the FM.  The antenna is
a patch and shouldn't need a ground plane.  However, the GPS is designed
for fixed site operation, not mobile, so you have to manually command it
to do a sky survey:

         :PTIME:GPSYSTEM:POSITION:SURVEY ONCE

This is described on page 1-15.  Page 1-16 has some comments about dealing
with limited antenna exposure to the sky.

As for me... my antenna is INSIDE, and sits near a window.  It works
well enough that I have no plans to mount the antenna outside.

73,

Eric, KB0YDN