[TenTec] HP GPS Receiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] HP GPS Receiver
From: efricha@dimensional.com (Eric F. Richards)
Date: Sat Jun 21 01:40:39 2003
At 10:06 PM 6/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>After inspecting my serial port mods to the Z3801A, it appears there are no
>operator errors after I made the internal RS-422 to RS-232 mod.
>
>I am using a standard RS-232 DB-9 to DB-25 serial cable (e.g., same as used
>for a dial up modem).

You need a null-modem cable, not straight through.  Ironically, because
the wire assignments for pins 2 and 3 are reversed on a DB9 as compared
to a DB25, you connect pins 2 and 3 together.  A "straight through"
connection is really a crossover (null-modem) cable!

>On AD6A's web page he suggested only connecting the
>essential pins which comprise three connections...

That's fairly important since other pins on the GPS have signals on
them that are probably seriously incompatible with RS232. Maybe it's
okay, maybe not.  I wouldn'r risk it.

>and similar to Jim's mod
>while leaving the serial port configured for RS-422.
>
>Question: Has anyone else had trouble communicating with their Z3801A units
>while using a standard RS-232 serial cable after making the internal serial
>port mod?  Just to keep this on-topic, we are discussing the external
>frequency reference to the Ten Tec RX-340 receiver.  Thanks.

I made one custom cable and tried duplicating it with commercial cables.
It ended up looking like a real mess, with a straight-through cable, a
null-modem adapter, and a breakout box with 2, 3, and 7 the only lines
that went through.

Since the second one was a temporary installation, I didn't mind so much.

>-Paul, W9AC

Good luck,

Eric, KB0YDN