[TenTec] 6N2 questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 6N2 questions
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Tue Jul 1 12:06:28 2003
I recently purchased a used 6N2 (6m/2m all-mode). It had version 1.10 of the
firmware and a note and upgrade chip that the previous owner had not
installed. The version of the upgrade was 1.21.  I contacted TT service and
Gary Green sent me an even newer chip with version 1.23.

Last night, I replaced the 1.10 chip with the 1.23 chip. Now I notice a very
strong (S7-8) birdie at 146.64. This is with or without the antenna
connected.  I don't recall hearing this birdie before the upgrade. I don't
like unnecessarily replacing chips so I thought I'd ask on the reflector
before swapping back to confirm that the chip change causes the birdie.

Also, has anyone experienced receive audio problem with the 6N2. After
making the upgrade, I was tuning around 2m. There is a semi-local (25 miles)
repeater on 147.24. I was listening to a QSO on the repeater. The audio was
cutting out badly on both ops, the way I associated with an overdriven
signal (talking too close to the mic). However, neither one of them
commented on it. I switched the antenna to a 2m FM rig and didn't seem to
hear the problem. In the process, I noticed that the antenna connection to
the 6N2 hadn't been tightened all the way. When I reconnected the 6N2, the
signal was better, but not perfect.  The S-Meter was reading about S7 to 8.
I engaged the attenuation. This dropped the signal to S3 or 4. The problem
was about the same.

I continued to monitor other repeaters and didn't notice the problem on
them. The local NWS WX radio on 162.55 comes in about 20 over 9 and does not
exhibit the problem. I can also hear several other WX radio stations with
varying signal strengths from S0 up and don't hear problems with them.

73,
Mark