[TenTec] Corsair II tricks and tips

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II tricks and tips
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Wed Jul 2 15:11:54 2003
The small shaft WAS a part of the rebuild kit I bought. And my PTO
demanded it. It was badly worn. I need to add another end play washer.
The shaft grounding not only adds a little rotational stiffness, it cuts
down on hand capacity effects that can otherwise occur when the grease
is keeping the shaft insulated from ground.

How is it that while Tentec built every Tentec PTO and rebuilt many that
their choice of grease is not the best. I don't recall that any bicycle
uses brass and plastic precision parts any where near to the PTO
application so how can it be that a bicycle garage's favorite wheel
bearing grease is better than Tentec's selection?

There are fast and slow breakers. I use a 16 amp regular (automotive ATC
type) blow fuse to protect my Corsair II. So far I've blown the fuse a
couple times while the tuner was way out of resonance, but not blown any
finals. I chose 16 amp rather than 20 to make the fuse more sensitive to
a little overload. Unless one uses special (and expensive fuses made of
silver wire) semiconductor fuses, no fuse acts as fast as a transistor
in croaking from excess current. The circuit breaker in the Tentec must
be for thermal protection and there either fast circuit breaker or fuse
seems adequate.

I didn't notice any Scotchtaps under my CorsairII. I've come to dislike
Scotchtaps because they let my tractor down in the middle of the field.
I no longer use them and if I find them I'll replace them with something
else.

AGC circuit mods tend to be best in the eyes of their creator.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer.
Reproduction by permission only.