[TenTec] Corsair ON/OFF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair ON/OFF
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu Jul 10 18:52:45 2003
George commented:

> Just to stir the pot a little more, it is usually the safest
> procedure to always turn on the power supply first and
> let it stabilize before applying the load.
>
> Does that apply here?

Not really;  a Ten Tec power supply connected to the
Corsair/Triton/ maybe other older TT radios,  will NOT
turn ON stand alone by itself!

It could be using a simple
mod;  that is jumpering the center two wires in the
four wire connecting pigtail between the rigs and the
TT power supplies.  But as "stock",  in order for either
unit to have power,  both switchs must be ON.  If the
Corsair power switch is not "pulled" out to ON,  the
connecting stock power supple/interconnect prevents
prime power to the power supply.

That was the crux of my question:  which switch should go
on first.  The answer seems to be to pull the Corsair switch
ON,  after which nothing happens until you next switch ON
the power supply at which point both units power up.

This has been my approach for some time:  leave the
Corsair switch pulled out to ON at all times,  turning the
little PS/Corsair system ON using just the PS switch.

Jerry's comment to leave both switched ON all the time,  but
have an external switch which brings up the prime power
to the PS/rig "system" seems the most conservative approach.

Your thought requires the sort of mod to the interconnect,
or something similar to get the PS on and "stable" first,
then pull ON the Corsair.

However,  seems from some comments,  after years of using
either way......it really makes not much difference,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M