[TenTec] field day from hell

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] field day from hell
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Thu Jul 17 11:54:21 2003
It is interesting to recall that the Collins and Drake rigs, noted for
excellent noise blankers for the times, both used separate 40 MHz receivers
to obtain the noise signal through a wide passband and then use the derived
blanking pulse in the actual receiver narrow IF chain. Modern receivers try
to do this prior to the first narrow IF filter, but most do not seem to do
as well as the old timers.

But, the next time you feel like complaining, come with me back to the
mid-40's when ignition noise would eat 10 meters alive if there was a car
within a mile. Then came the Twin Noise Squelch and the other noise limiters
as they were called back then. My National HRO-5TA1 had a Noise Limiter knob
on it, a simple peak amplitude limiter - miraculous! I don't recall that we
had any true blankers prior to the Collins and Drake rigs, but those days
are dim now . . .

I'll take today . . .

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>