[TenTec] Why do people buy TenTec?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why do people buy TenTec?
From: jmalloy@stny.rr.com (Joe Malloy)
Date: Wed Jul 23 00:13:21 2003
It's interesting to read the tale of how one came to buy Ten-Tec and I
thought I'd add mine...

I started out with an old S-38C (yikes!) and a Lafayette kit TX, the
Starflite KT-390.  Well, soon after that I graduated to a Drake 2B and
thought I died and went to heaven!  During my college years, I got a Galaxy
V Mk II and suffered through many failures, one 800 volt shock (who knew
that the B+ was always on the tune capacitor stator!).  I did see an
Argonaut that was brought to a Field Day in 1976 but didn't get a chance to
hear or use it.  I had that Galaxy for a number of years and when I was in
graduate school, I got to use the W4UV ham shack almost exclusively (there
wasn't much activitiy, alas) at the U of Virginia.  It was there that I got
to check into CW nets with a Triton IV -- and I was *amazed* at the elegant
simplicity of it all and especially the QSK.  So it was not surprising that
the first ham set I ever bought new was an Argosy -- and it was downhill
from there.  The fact that Ten-Tec gave one enough controls to get the job
done, that TT spaced their controls so my fat fingers to get at the easily,
the fact that the interior of the rigs was completely understandable and
human-repairable/modifiable, well, that made me a believer.

I have bought and used (and still do) Yaecomwood rigs, nothing against them.
But the only brand to come along and give Ten-Tec a bit of a run for the
money (though they are catering to different niches) is Elecraft.  But I'm
still saving my pennies for an Orion!

As Larry put it, "TecTecs--You "gota' luv em."

73,

Joe, W2RBA