[TenTec] Environmental operating limits

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Environmental operating limits
From: tomnorth@airmail.net (Tom North)
Date: Thu Jul 24 13:07:50 2003
I've had excellent service out of my Winbook J1 in outdoor use here in
Texas, where it gets warm and humid. Two years now, so the current models
have changed, but you may want to look; this is sold online and by
MicroCenter. If I were looking for something as bulletproof as you desire,
I'd take a hard look at Asus, a name not common here, but elsewhere.
http://usa.asus.com/products/notebook/nbindex.htm
I picked up the Winbook in a time crunch, or the Asus would have been my
choice then. Have used their MoBo's in a couple CAD workstations, and like
their products and support.
GL 73'
Tom  N5OZQ

>Subject: Environmental operating limits.
Almost impossible to find. Even IBM doesn't put them on their spec sheets.

Most of the worlds population lives in tropical or temperate zones. Most
of the
worlds population does not have the luxury of climate controlled
environment.

So, if you want to travel with your notebook, you want something that
will work
up to 40C and 90%RH. I'm into my second failing Fujitsu and months of
frustration
when like pulling hens teet, I am finally able to get the design
specifications. 35C

I've spent the whole day looking and the only thing I can find is
overkill Panasonic
'toughbooks' that are good to 50C with an overkill price to match. What
gives?

Does anyone on the list know of something that has the power to play a DVD,
comes with removeable DVD/CDRW, and will work at 40C 90%RH under
full CPU utilization that doesn't cost $3k+++

Thanks,
-Bob
ah7i