[TenTec] 5 mV = -67 dBm

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 5 mV = -67 dBm
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri Jul 25 21:17:23 2003
Mark, I think that you may still have a problem there.

The dBv reference is defined to be one volt. Thus 5 mV relative to one volt
expressed in dBv would be

dB = 20 log (5x10^-3)/1 = -46 dB

Since we used one volt for the reference, we would say that 5 millivolts
corresponds to -46 dBv, provided that it was measured across the same
resistance value as the one volt reference.

Recall that any relationship expressed in dB is inherently a power ratio -
watts over watts. We can use volts or amps instead of watts provided that
both the numerator and denominator voltages or currents are measured with
the same resistance.

Since watts = volts-squared divided by resistance in ohms, we can deal
directly with volts or amps and forget about the squaring by using 20 log
V2/V1 as our equation, instead of the more familiar 10 log P2/P1. But, this
is valid only if the same resistance value is present for both voltages.

Your value of -67 dBv corresponds to the voltage V in

                     -67 dB = 20 log (V/1)

where again the reference is one volt measured across some reference
resistance..

The result is  V =  446.7 microvolts, measured across the same resistance as
the one volt reference.

All the above again subject to the fumble-finger exception.

Tricky stuff . . .

I haven't seen your Pegasus manual, but with microphones it is typical to
rate them loosely with a dB number for the output where it is "understood"
that 0 dB is some voltage output that would be put out by some reference mic
if it were exposed to some sound pressure level SPL at some specified
distance and frequency, etc.

A mic with -67 dB output is pretty low output. A high output mic, such as
the old D104 high-impedance crystal mic was rated up around -52 dB or so.
The output voltage is very much a matter not only of the sound pressure
level but the resistance into which the mic is connected.

Most mics these days are "low-impedance"  around 200-600 ohms and rigs are
designed for such mics in terms of their input circuitry. A typical Icom
radio - sorry, don't know about the Pegasus, but probably close - expects an
input of around 10 millivolts at the mic connector or 100 millivolts at the
accessory back-panel connector.

Hope this helps a little with the eternal dB problems!  <:}

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>